All 29 art Reviews

: Contest Entry : : Contest Entry :

Hilarious, simple, well constructed= Excellent

It's a great idea by far. It's so brilliantly simple, but it could work to great effect; in the show Girl-chan is fan service, mindless, and a cameo, but Woman san could be constantly appearing alongside the cast mates as a main character, actually have a brain (and a striking and alluring personality).

I have to say I love the character design;
-the coloring is beautiful (all the little natural blushes on the skin, highlights, and overall use of shading won me over).

-Expression; I'm a sucker for eyes, I love not only the colour of her eyes, but the shape as well. She's got a mix of playfulness, aggressiveness, and a bit of mischief in there. It all works to great effect. She really comes off as a woman while making Girl-chan look even more girlish. (If that makes any sense)

Keep up the great work man. I shall subscribe to your art from here on out.

All the best to you

Kero-the-boy-killer responds:

Well, damn this was the most well constructed comment i have ever received here on newgrounds XD <3 Thank you so much!~ <3 I highly appreciate your kind words.

Penny Arcade Anniversary Penny Arcade Anniversary

Fantastic style

I don't know what it is, but there is something I immensely love about your style! I love how stylized and fluid everything is. You managed to get in all the major players into this piece, nicely arrange them and render them in a style that is very strong in character. One last thing I enjoyed about this picture was the colors, I like the overall warmth of this. Keep up the good work and keep working the wizardry with the line work! :)

All the best to you,
Shockdingo

Primal Fire Primal Fire

Visually arresting presentation

Wow. Absolutely amazing piece here. The colors, the lighting, and the pose just make this picture live. This looks like a promo poster for a feature animation. The character's pose, expression, and detailed musculature really make the image pop, but the fire makes transforms this into something else. It's just so wild and beautiful. I can't even think of a real complaint, but I guess if I had to pick anything, the blood looks a little thick. That's just a negligible nit pick on my part. Keep up the great work, I look forward to your animation.

Super Breaking Bad 2 Turbo Super Breaking Bad 2 Turbo

Press Start

Dude, amazing piece. Crap man, I never knew you could do sprite work; I'd definitely like to see you dabble more in this field.

On to the review;
This perfectly captures the modern 2d fighter. The overall HUD display looks Capcom based, and nicely customized to fit with the show; the watch for the timer, the super meter based on flasks? Beakers? (Hell if I know, I was always terrible in science heh) and finally the movelist at the bottom is the icing on the cake. Everything is very fresh and vibrant. Even if someone doesn't watch the show, they can jump in and appreciate the zaniness of this. Keep up the good work man, as always, looking forward to your next piece.

JohnnyUtah responds:

thanks dude

pixel art is actually pretty fun to do, I'll probably do more soon.

X vs. Spark Mandrill X vs. Spark Mandrill

Great colorful and stylistic piece

This piece just has so much character. I love the perspective as well as the exaggerated proportions and poses. There's a certain level of flexibility in both X and Mandrill; because of the little bends and folds they characters have life as well as personality. This art style looks like it could lend itself to being one of humor as well as action, it's something different; different is good, it keeps everything from stagnating with the same old same old.

Your recent work really pops with color, I notice you often use blue and purple hues to accent your work. One of the things that keeps this memorable for me is in this piece you didn't really use a flat black palette in the outlines; you used reds, blues and purples; that really kept this vibrant and fresh. One thing that I always liked about Capcom's visual style is that even in their "serious" games like Street Fighter, Darkstalkers and Mega Man X, they never used the modern "let's color everything rusty" syndrome, this piece matches that philosophy. It looks like you tried to use as many interesting colors as possible without being distracting and for that ultimately it succeeds in presenting an exciting and energetic piece.

Overall, I like this art style you've utilized, it looks like it would not only animate well, but it's rather memorable. I actually like that it's not in an overt anime style. I'm at the end of this weird little review now.
Tl;dr version:
Awesome art, keep up the good work.

Garage Fighting 2010 Garage Fighting 2010

Awesome work

Great work yet again man. One thing I always love about your work is how expressive it is; your fighting game/hero/warrior characters always have greatly detailed musculature, dynamic poses and appropriate expressions. This is no different; the composition is great and each character has flair. Despite having all the characters uniformly grouped, you avoided "boring-ass, class picture syndrome"; everyone feels like who they're supposed to be and you conveyed that in a limited space with great success. So in short (and to end my excessively long reviews) this is a great piece that has intense looking characters with a nice balance of comedy. Keep up the good work man!

JohnnyUtah responds:

thanks dude ;3

Punish Punish

Beauty in simplicity

I'm a huge fan of the Punisher, so this was a treat for me. I love how it is simple and to the point, yet powerful and emotive. It gets to the point; tells you what he's all about and hints at where he's been as well as where he's going in life. ONe last thing, I love the stylized proportions you used on this piece as well as the Wolverine piece, it's quite eye catching. Sorry for all the wordiness on my part heh.
tl;dr version:
Awesome work, it would make an excellent poster!

Murlus' Quest Murlus' Quest

Stunning work!

Absolutely beautiful work, the colors and the lighting just bring this to life. The forest looks quite beautiful and calm, but there's also that feeling that anything could just spring out and attack you the moment you let your guard down. I'm not sure what else to say about this piece dude. Keep up the marvelous work! :)

Castle Crasher Red Castle Crasher Red

Fantastic interpretation

That is just amazing. One thing that I've noticed in all of your work is you add blue-ish or purple highlights, not only does that add a distinctness to your style it's quite nice to look at. The coloring and the textures make this nicely pop out, it almost looks 3d at some points. I really enjoy the weathered look to the shield, sword, and armor, it helps with the bad ass look; he looks like he's been in a lot of hardcore battles and come out on top. Keep up the excellent work man. I hope you go far man. All the best!